Facebook event page
Juju's Bar & Stage
Ely's Yard, 15 Hanbury Street, E1 6QR London, United Kingdom
The body and the soul are traditionally perceived as separate entities within Western culture. However, Beate Peter will argue that dance has the potential to unite them. Drawing on Carl Gustav Jung, who distinguishes between personal unconscious and collective unconscious, she will argue that dance allows us to access our collective unconscious and consequently, a more fully discovered self.
Accessing the unconscious through dance is commonly practised within tribal societies, particularly in shamanic dances, in which a demon is thought to speak through an individual who is being possessed. In such a case, the dancer could be seen as expressing an internal voice, for example their own self and soul, rather than an external demonic force. Dance provides an opportunity to discover our self more completely, embracing the unconscious part of our identities through the physicality of our bodies.
Peter’s research in electronic dance music argues the same. Electronic music facilitates this kind of dance-discovery. Its musical features allow the release of emotions within a community of dancers, where the body becomes the soul, and the individual becomes the collective.
Venue: Jujus Bar & Stage, Brick Lane (access via Dray Walk)
Doors: 7pm / Talk starts: 7.30pm.
Tickets here: bit.ly/2uZWtJ0
LDN Talks @ Night is a fresh new concept making «Tedx» talks more accessible. We've pulled in an impressive array of leading entrepreneurs, movers & shakers, bright thinkers and incredible individuals to give you a different perspective, to enthuse and inspire!
Here are some other talks we are sure you might LOVE:
1. LDN [email protected]
|Life of a UN War Crimes Investigator: bit.ly/2pgz7NY
2. LDN Talks @ Night | Psychology of Alien Encounters: bit.ly/2pgRlPb
3. LDN Talks @ Night | Pablo Escobar: The Real Story: bit.ly/2qnQzQx
4. The World Screams WAR CRIMES But Is It That Simple? bit.ly/2selM95
5. LDN Talks @ Night | Fly First Class for Free: bit.ly/2u8pajC
6. Dim Sum Talks|Exploring the Mind of a Psychopath: bit.ly/2tdsD40
7. LDN Talks @ The O2 | A History of Psychedelics: bit.ly/2tMv4Yg
8. Breakfast Talks | Inside America's Deadliest Jail: bit.ly/2taVYel